Subject: [Leica] Mike J. and the bitter pill
From: Photovilla@aol.com
Date: Wed, 8 Mar 2000 15:37:14 EST

I rarely get involved in the somewhat psychotic 'bitch-fights' that evolve
here, but I would like to say that Mike belongs here on the LUG as much or
more than anyone I can imagine.

When I was buying my FIRST Leica some 9 or 10 years ago, it was Mike who
helped me whittle down exactly what I needed and even when so far as writing
me a nearly two page email explaining the pro's and con's of the camera I was
about to buy.

Unlike most others in his position, Mike has always been willing to SHARE the
knowledge that he has...this is a rare quality.

Thanks to the Internet boom and the need for the computer programs that I
author, I have now been able to indulge my Leica habit and have purchased
many hundreds of Leica cameras and lenses. I have a large personal
collection. I also opened a second business buying and selling Leica gear as
many of you know. On any given day I might buy or sell five or six Leica
items. I love the nuances and variety of photo gear as tools and as objects
in themselves. I attend a gallery opening at least once every month and I
read about photography just about every day in one form or the next. It is my
passion.

Even so, to this day I consider Mike someone who could teach me a thing or
two about Leicas and photography...

Possession of a camera really has little to do with knowledge of it. The idea
that someone shouldn't post here because they currently don't OWN a piece of
equipment is ridiculous. Especially if that someone may have owned that
camera for years or decades in the past. Who is taking inventory here???

With the number of cameras Mike must handle doing reviews for PT it is
arguable that he is the MOST experienced member of the LUG. Even most "big
time" dealers aren't' going to handle as many cameras as he would.

I suggest that we put this insanity behind us and welcome, and even beg, Mike
to keep posting here. Let's not kill the LUG off completely in an "ego war."

That is my $.02.

later,
Rich
The Photo Village, Inc.