Subject: [Leica] RE: Re: RE: Re: Leica and the digital future
From: Jim Brick <jim@brick.org>
Date: Fri, 10 Mar 2000 22:41:34 -0800

What is the price of the digital film cartridge? I don't know but it has to
be several hundred dollars. So you put one of these in your camera, go out
and take photographs. How many can you take? 10? 20? It uses a 1.3MB sensor
so if it can take 10 photographs at 1MB resolution, that's 10MB of memory
just for image storage. 20MB for 20 images. This is a tiny device. There
isn't going to be much room for very much memory. After you take the 10 or
20 pictures, you are out and about, what do you do? You have another in
your pocket? Whew... expensive film. Especially when you are getting images
that might make a reasonable 5x7. But not much bigger. If you are a rich
happy snapper, this might work.

This is a terribly inconvenient device. This is why digital cameras have an
LCD on the camera. To see, keep, or delete images on the spot. Have a
compact flash or smart media, maybe a micro drive, in the camera to store
lots of images. Instead of a couple dozen mediocre images, you can take a
hundred better than mediocre images.

What's the advantage of having a 35mm digital cartridge? Absolutely
nothing. Because it is very limited in capability, very expensive for what
it is, and produces images a thousand times less quality than a simple $5
film cartridge.

What you should do is think carefully of how you would actually use this
device. And what to do when it's full. What you get for the price. And how
you will use the crappy, oops, mediocre images.

Digital cameras have a lot of stuff inside that make digital cameras very
useful. A film camera is NOT a good candidate for digital use. The MF and
LF digital backs require an umbilical and a shoulder bag full of
electronics, and a computer close by. A tiny little digital film cartridge,
in my estimation, is less than useless.

Buy a cheap HP scanner, and use film. The results will be a thousand times
better and a thousand times cheaper.

Jim