Subject: RE: [Leica] opinion on film scanner
From: "Peter Jon White" <PeterJonWhite@PeterWhiteCycles.com>
Date: Sat, 11 Mar 2000 07:55:26 -0500

the
> models i have looked into are the HP s20 and the nikon ls-30. does
> anyone out there have any experiance with these.

I use a Nikon Coolscan II, which the LS-30 replaced. It cost about $750
three years ago. At the time I compared it with the HP Photosmart scanner
($500) and a Minolta for about $800. The Nikon was clearly superior to the
HP, and a bit better than the Minolta. But it still isn't perfect. Any black
area of a slide will show subtle streaks in any of these scanners. The HP
was particularly poor in this regard, with obvious grey blotches mixed in
with black. According to Nikon, their more expensive scanner ($1500 with
higher "bit depth" whatever that means) didn't have this problem, but at
twice the price, it didn't matter.

So if you want the best image possible, do a direct comparison with the
$1500 scanners. The specs you see don't tell the whole story. And it's not
obvious to the neophyte what all the specs (bit depth, etc.) really mean.
For my needs, I can live with the streaks, since they're subtle and I'm not
charging anyone for photographs I put on my web site. But if I were a paying
customer, I would want black to be black.

Peter Jon White
Peter White Cycles
666 Mass Ave
Acton, MA 01720
978 635 0969 Voice
978 929 9654 Fax
http://www.PeterWhiteCycles.com
mailto:Peter@PeterWhiteCycles.com

"Legislators and revolutionaries who promise equality and liberty at the
same time, are either psychopaths or mountebanks."
Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

http://www.antiwar.com
http://www.mises.org