Subject: Re: [Leica] Film & Airport Security X-Ray Machines
From: Nathan Wajsman <wajsman@webshuttle.ch>
Date: Sat, 11 Mar 2000 23:38:23 +0100

Robert,

I would not be concerned at all. As long as you do not put the film in
checked baggage, two trips through the carry-on security check will not harm
a 400 film, various urban legends notwithstanding. If you are still worried,
get a lead-lined bag for your film. When you pass it through the security
check, either it will just go through, or the operator will ask to see what
is inside, and you will in effect get a hand inspection without having to
argue about it. And remember that the people doing the security are trying
to protect you from being blown to bits by some lunatic...

Nathan

Robert Clark wrote:

> Hello everyone:
> Just bought some Ilford Delta 100 & 400, some T400CN, and a few rolls of
> Fujichrome and Kodachrome for my upcoming trip to Paris.  I have some
> international travel experience, but have only taken some basic Kodak
> 100ASA film for snapshots.  Now that I'm trying to do more with my new
> Leica, I decided to be a little more serious about taking pictures while
> in Paris.  Should I be concerned about my film going through the metal
> detector in my camera bag?  How about exposed film in my camera or in
> the cartridge upon my return.  I understand that more than a few people
> remove the film from the boxes and containers, place it in a plastic
> bag, and ask for a visual inspection instead of sending it through the
> machine.  I'm thinking this is what I'll do on my way over and at the
> return gate at Charles de Gaulle with my exposed film.
>
> Any advice or suggestions will be read, remembered, and appreciated!
>
> Robert Clark
> Lancaster, PA

- --
Nathan Wajsman
Overijse, Belgium and Zurich, Switzerland

e-mail: wajsman@webshuttle.ch