Subject: [Leica] Re: digital angst
From: "Les Bonser" <lbonser@worldnet.att.net>
Date: Sat, 11 Mar 2000 20:04:08 -0800

Hello everyone,

Some comments below...

> ------------------------------
>
> Date: Sat, 11 Mar 2000 11:41:13 +0100
> From: Robert Appleby and Susan Darlow <laintal@tin.it>
> Subject: [Leica] digital angst
>
> Bob Figlio wrote, in reply to Mark Rabiner:
> >>You know, Mark, high-end audio went through the same kind of "digital
and
> solid state revolution" some years ago. However, the leading edge of upper
> end audio is now back to tubes and some analogue. The analogy is not
> completely congruent, but I think the continuity and subtlety of silver
> images will prevail for the foreseeable future. Nonetheless, snapshots on
the
> new high count pixel cameras look pretty good until you compare them to a
> silver image. Even then, the noncritical viewer       ( most people) will
say
> that if there is a difference it does not matter to them.
>
> I do fear for the longer future, though - maybe it doesn't matter? Enough
> pixels may do it.
> >>

> Bob, I'm not an expert on high-end audio, but some of my friends have such
> setups. However, they're low production run, extremely expensive - the
> exact opposite of what E100 should be. Sure, the future might see some
> specialty manufacturers turning out small quantities of emulsion, but
> that's not a viable solution for the working photographer. If a lot of
> advertising and product photography (probably the most technically
> demanding types of photography) are already shot on rather primitive
> digital backs and everyone is already happy with that, how are the expense
> and rarity of emulsions going to stand up to that in ten years from now.
> I just hope I'm going to be able to mount a digital back to my M6. I'd
hate
> to lose manual focus/exposure. But in reality, even that is probably not
> going to be an option. The most we can hope for (I suspect) is that
digital
> bodies will be available in all lens mounts. And even there, everyone
seems

I'm probably going to hate myself when someone takes my idea and makes
millions with it.... :-)

Maybe this is a business opportunity for someone or some company: a digital
body with a variety of lens mounts. Maybe Leica, Contex, Canon, and Nikon,
or whatever. Use your high-quality, manual focus lenses on a
state-of-the-art digital capture body. True to life optical rangefinder
focusing, manual-style control dials, and a "hidden" preview LCD under a
flap.  Maybe with retro-styling to make it appear to be a classic Leica III
or Nikon S!

Les

> to be developing special lines of lenses to accomodate small sensors.
> Call me a pessimist... But in the end , it'll probably be better for
> everyone in terms of convenience and expense.
> Satellite upload your images to your server while you're shooting in
Tibet,
> in real time! Now _that_ would be convenient. Nothing to break or get lost
> on location, with a portable reader to review and edit your day's work.
I'd