Subject: [Leica] Re: The Galapagos Islands
From: "Sander van Hulsenbeek" <vanhulsenbeek@wxs.nl>
Date: Sun, 12 Mar 2000 11:25:14 +0100

What gear for the Galapagos?

I would very much support Doug's views.

Four days is too short, and you would only see the spots close to
the main island. We did a seven day tour, several years ago., and
that was adequate, and long enough to wet one's appetite for more.

Also, don't overdo it on the tele side. Long tele. i.e. >135mm for
35 mm shooting, kills depth in your pictures and sets the
animals apart from their habitat. The Galapagos
in my view are all about the wildlife in its strange volcanic
surroundings.

Like Doug, I went for the close ups,
with lots of background round the subject. Like the
famous Frans Lanting Albatros pictures. 15mm would perhaps create to
'trendy'  shots in my view. 21 to 28 would be better.

Remember that all transport is by boat, and that you may have to
climber in and out of tiny rowing boats or dingies, transporting
you ashore. Indeed: rather lots of than only some wading.
Why not buy one of those  waterproof pouches
for just such occasion. Ortlieb is available in Europe.

Also, in between islands, you are on the open Pacific, and with some winds
the see may be rough! But beautiful, no doubt.

Do read up before you go. The guides (obligatory) will point out
the wildlife, but also the vegetation is really interesting. Even to to
see what havoc plant diseases, brought from the mainland, have
created!

Envy you!

Sander van Hulsenbeek
Amsterdam