Subject: Re: [Fwd: [Leica] DDD apoligies]
From: Marc James Small <msmall@roanoke.infi.net>
Date: Sun, 12 Mar 2000 14:42:26 -0500

At 11:14 AM 3/12/2000 -0800, Mark Rabiner wrote:
>Mike Gil wrote:
>>
>> Dear Lugnuts and Lugmares,
>>
>> I feel responsible since I posted the original thread regarding DDD's
use of
>> Nikon lenses on Leica bodies.  I meant to use that example of Nikon coming
>> virtually out of no where and taking market share from Leica as it relates
>> to the present.  The example from the Korean war is similar to what is
>> happening know or at least I hope not.  Nikon is virtually a new player in
>> this field being out of manufacturing interchangeable rangefinder cameras
>> since the introduction of the F, please dont take that as the exact time as
>> the end of the S series.  Nikon has a wealth of technology and money behind
>> it.  Nikon in time can match Leica optics, if it wants and if Leica sits
>> back and does nothing.  I didn't mean this thread to question DDD's
>> integrity or honesty.  I tend to believe what most photogs have to say
>> except when they talk about the technical details of there pictures.  If
>> your shooting 20 to 30 rolls of film per assignment, who has time to take
>> down the details and are they really important.  You probably know what
lens
>> you used and probably what film and exposure details but who care?  Sorry,
>> getting OT anyway.
>>
>> In his book "This is War" DDD said that he had the prints made with the
>> Nikkors blown up to 11x14 by the Life lab.  I think they would know if
these
>> prints would of been of an inferior quality.  Since they used these to make
>> the book I think they where not inferior.
>>
>> The big question, is Nikon going to spend all that money to make a short
>> term profit with the retro S3 or is this just the beginning.  It would be
>> very untypical of Japan Inc. to just think of the short term picture with
>> out working out the long term potential.
>>
>> mg

Excuse me?

Is this the Mike Gil recently tossed off this List?

No one has ever suggested that the prints made by Duncan in Tokyo in 1950
were "inferior".  The query is WHICH LENSES  were compared, and whether the
comparison was fair.  It is taken as a given that the Nikon prints were the
equals of  the 'some German lens' prints.

Mark Rabiner, please share this with this Gil jerk.  And advise him to READ
AND ABSORB what is written, and not to react to what he, in
Transactional-Analysis terms, BELIEVES he read.

Marc

msmall@roanoke.infi.net  FAX:  +540/343-7315
Cha robh bas fir gun ghras fir!