Subject: Re: [Leica] New Leica owner
From: John Collier <jbcollier@home.com>
Date: Sun, 12 Mar 2000 16:46:57 -0700

The mechanical zero setting of the MR meter is set with the battery removed,
the meter held level and the needle release button pushed in. If it will not
zero then you have problems. The M2R repair manual lists three causes:
either the adjusting fork is damaged; the hair spring is disconnected from
the adjusting fork; or, the meter hair spring(s) is (are) defective. The
first two are economical to fix while the third requires a new meter
movement. The meter movements are available new but cost more than another
used working meter. If you are very very handy it is possible to fabricate
new hairsprings but it is time consuming delicate work. Unfortunately, in my
experience, hairspring failures are not uncommon while the other two
problems are. So take the battery out and try setting the zero then.
Hopefully it will OK.

John Collier