Subject: Re: [Leica] Summaron comments solicited
From: Kip Babington <cbabing3@swbell.net>
Date: Mon, 13 Mar 2000 10:45:03 -0600

I used a 35mm/2.8 with eyes on my M3 in the early 70s.  The mechanics of
the lens were nicer than my 35mm Summicron of the same vintage (nicer
focusing tab, easier to set and smoother aperture ring) but of course I
hated the eyes - ugly & heavy, even if they did work well.  I
occasionally wished for more speed, which is why I bought the Summicron
for my M5 (it helped that I was a single officer in the Air Force living
on base, so all my income was disposable) but I never saw any difference
in results between the two.  Not that I ever did side-by-side tests - but
I'd guess that at middle apertures only Erwin would find differences
between them.  If I had a chrome M2/4/6 today and saw a nice 35mm
Summaron at a good price, I wouldn't hesitate to pick one up to use in
daylight or on a tripod (gasp - no flames please.)

Cheers,
Kip