Subject: [Leica] Mac Survay
From: john <bosjohn@mediaone.net>
Date: Mon, 13 Mar 2000 22:03:32 +0000

Thanks to all who answered my question as to which computer platform you all
used. It seems the percentage of Mac users is far higher than even I expected.
My interest in this question has nothing to do with which camera, or computer
is better. I believe that we folk who use Leicas and Mac computers have
several things in common. We find ourselves constantly defending our choices
to the mainstream photographers and computer geeks.  We magnify any points in
favor of our choices, sometimes far beyond what their worth, and we downplay
flaws irksome though they may be.

No one, even non photographers, ever questions a pro's choice to use a Nikon
or Canon SLR, but tell them we use Leicas and their eyes glaze over and they
look at us like some kind of nut case. We now have a generation of
photographers who grew up to Simon and Garfunkle's "Take a photograph with my
Nikon camera" Nikon, not Leica became the photographic ikon of the present
generation. The image held fast by every kid who aspires to be a photographer
is the photojournalist draped with Nikons. I doubt any mainstream photo
schools teach range finder technique.

Beyond all the lens charts and technical specifications we Leica users have a
little bit of " I dare to be different. I choose the road less traveled".
John Shick