Subject: Re: [Leica] Summaron comments solicited
From: Carl Socolow <csocolow@mindspring.com>
Date: Mon, 13 Mar 2000 23:51:05 -0500

Mike Johnston wrote:

> I'm interested in hearing comments about either of the old Summaron-M
> lenses, either the f/2.8 or the f/3.5, either M-mount or screwmount.
> Anybody used one? Like it? Dislike it? Feelings and opinions much
> appreciated, on- or off-list.
>
> Thanks--
>
> --Mike

Mike,

Glad to see you back in good spirits. When I bought my first Leica, a
used M2, it came with a 35 f3.5 LTM Summaron with bayonet adapter for
the gracious price of $425. I used that lens for years and was astounded
how it outperformed my Canon FD prime lenses. I love the look it gives,
particularly with b&w. Some early photos I did in Venice on b&w in 1992
have an amazing old-world quality that I can only ascribe to the
simplicity of the lens and its lack of multi-coating (if any coating at
all).  I also like its compactness but I rarely if ever use it anymore
opting instead for the speed of my pre-Asph Summicron.
- --
Carl Socolow

http://members.tripod.com/SocPhoto/
New email address: csocolow@mindspring.com