Subject: [Leica] Summaron Comments
From: "Philip Kokoczka" <philip63@hotmail.com>
Date: Tue, 14 Mar 2000 03:55:32 PST

I have been using a 35/2.8 Summaron as a normal lens on both my M3 and M6
for about 2 years. All I can say is that I would not trade it for any other
lens-even one of the new 35mm asph models. The prints and slides taken with
this lens have a quality to them which give them a very rich and smooth -
(with very good sharpness at 2.8 and excellent at all other stops) -
character. You can easily pick them out on a light table - they are just
different (I call them better) than those taken with my other, more modern
lenses (50/2.0 Summicron and 90/2.8 Tele-Elmarit M). The color of the
slides/prints just grabs you and makes you want to look closer and longer. I
must admit that the bug eyes leave a bit to be desired - they add quite a
bit of weight and bulk - but given the results, I will put up with it. A
nice feature is that the clip on hood for my 50/2.0 Summicron fits the
Summaron although it can't be reversed for storage because of the design of
the lens mount. Speaking of the lens mount, it is classy looking and the
finish is very fine. I particularily like the focus tab design - fits the
finger perfectly. (Why doesn't Leica make lenses like this any more?)

Phil Kokoczka