Subject: Re: [Leica] My First M3!
From: ceworkman@ktis.net (C. E. Workman Jr.)
Date: Tue, 14 Mar 2000 09:51:48 -0600

Doug,

I too offer my congratulations on the purchase of your first M3.  I've had
M3's off and on for 40 years and just bought another one a week or so ago.
My serial number is 745xxx, which is a few numbers lower than yours but it
also has the preview lever as have several I've owned in that range.  I
think that is probably original to the camera which was made in 1955.  Mine
is still a two stroke model.

If your camera has the black seal in the top screw hole on the ring, chances
are that it was sent to Leitz for repair.  As far as I know, the black seal
with the "L" was only on factory new cameras, not those sent for repair.
Have fun.

Chuck