Subject: Re: [Leica] Elcan is now known as Elcan
From: "Henning J. Wulff" <henningw@archiphoto.com>
Date: Wed, 15 Mar 2000 00:24:40 -0800

At 9:44 PM +0000 3/14/00, Mike Johnston wrote:

>Made? Makes. Elcan, currently owned by Raytheon, makes some of the
>current Leica lenses, including the new 90/2 Apo-Asph from what I hear.
>The Noctilux has ALWAYS been made in Midland.
>
>--Mike (donning flame-retardant suit, fire extinguisher handy, phone
>poised to dial fire department, I think I'm ready)

I don't know whether the Elcan label is still used by Raytheon, but it is
is not E. Leitz Canada anymore. I don't believe they make any of the
current lenses for Leica. Noctilux production has been shifted to Germany,
and while there was apparently initial consideration of producing the 90/2
APO-ASPH in Canada, it is now manufactured in Germany. This was discussed
previously by people with some more direct connection with Midland.

You may now use the hand that doesn't hold the fire extinguisher to write
what you choose. Stop dialing, take off that sweat stained suit.

   *            Henning J. Wulff
  /|\      Wulff Photography & Design
 /###\   mailto:henningw@archiphoto.com