Subject: Re: [Leica] 50mm f1.5 Nokton question
From: John Bean <john.bean@ukonline.co.uk>
Date: Wed, 15 Mar 2000 10:20:57 +0000

Horst, I understand your points about the "misuse" of the historic names of
the Voigtlander-branded Cosina lenses, but I fail to understand the tone of
your comments - it's almost as though you take Cosina's marketing as a
personal insult!

I use all the lenses *except* the Nocton (coming soon!) on M bodies, and I
find them all "adequate" to "excellent", though my favourite is the 75/2.5.

As for the branding, I believe this is regional; in some parts of the world
it is Cosina, in others Voigtlander. Most manufacturers with access to more
than one brand name do this, it's hardly a case of being "ashamed to use
there (sic) own name on the products they manufacture".

I am not in a position to be able to buy state-of-the-art Leica glass, and
these new Cosina offerings are better (IMO) than the similarly priced used
Leica glass that I can afford. And before I get flamed, I use my 40-year
old Leitz lenses just as often. Will my Cosina lenses will still be around
in 40 years, I wonder? As I probably won't be around to check, I'll declare
that question rhetorical.

As to racism, It didn't cross my mind until you mentioned it.

At Wednesday 15/03/2000 00:15, A.H.SCHMIDT wrote:
>In my opinion, Cosina could not care less about the history or the accuracy of
>this lens names. It is a shame. But then what do you expect, if a company
>is to
>ashamed to use
>there own name on the products they manufacture.
>
>Now, after having said this, I would appreciate, if none of you LUGers
>accuse me
>of making racially negative remarks. I would have written  the same, if a
>company from the US, Germany, France or even Upper Volta had done this.
>
>I am just not impressed.  I do owe a small company, but have never been
>ashamed
>to put my own Brand Name on to my products.

Regards

John Bean