Subject: [Leica] Anyone ever heard of? (or) How much I learned from one guy
From: RGKEG@aol.com
Date: Wed, 15 Mar 2000 20:25:53 EST

When I was in film school at the Graduate Institute of Film and TV at NYU, my
primary interest was cinematography.  We were required to take a still
photography course and the teachers name was Arthur Freed.  He was primarily
a Leica black and white photographer, and edited a a book on documentary
photography for Time Life probably in the 70's.  A very interesting guy, as
evidenced in one way by how he taught.  Here's what he did in a class
consisting of some people who had hardly ever picked up a camera. (Most of
the students were interested in directing)

The first class he gave a list of what he wanted us to buy...tank,chemicals
etc.
When he was done with that he told us we were forbidden to use a meter, and
forbidden to look through the viewfinder.

He gave us developing instructions, the film to use (Tri-X), and what f stop
shutter speed combination to use outdoors in sun, in shade, and indoors.

He then said go out and shoot some number of rolls, process and contact, and
bring the sheets to the next class the following week.  End of class.

We were scratching our heads to say the least.

Next class he looked at the contacts and poked pencil holes in some of the
pictures, telling us to go print them.  He refused to tell anyone why he
chose those, and when the prints came back, just asked more questions.

There were people who hated him, and most of us were somewhat confused as to
what this was all about.

Later he explained. He said when people first pick up cameras, they have a
preconceived idea of composition, which he wanted to overcome right out of
the box.
The rest was to give minimal technical technique so we would concentrate on
learning to make pictures.

In doing this, he actually gave us a great deal of technique, and an instant
connection to the picture making process.

I am still in his debt.

He also did a series on the deterioration of his relationship with a woman
that was extremely personal and moving.

I wonder if anyone has ever heard of him, and am using this forum as the best
place I know to give tribute to this remarkable (to me) teacher.

                                             Ron Kutak