Subject: [Leica] $2,000 lens hoods & a $42,000 Leica "RIFLE"
From: MGMcGough@aol.com
Date: Thu, 16 Mar 2000 01:53:04 EST

   Otello Pagliari (Nembo Kid) from Italy last year paid $2,200 for an
   authentic black hood for the 85/1.5 Black Summarex (R9).

   He later told me that he would have bid double that if he had to.
   He & his partner Osvaldo Mercuri last year bought on eBay one of
   the rarest of all Leicas - the original Comm. Gatty's "RIFLE" for the
   sum of $42,000.  This one was made by ELNY for Gatty's African
   Camera Safaris in the mid 30's and later 5 or 6 more were made in
   Wetzlar.  Since the last owner was millionaire Burns Stanley of
   Michigan and was sold by Adolph Gasser of San Francisco, I think
   that Mr. Stanley has passed on (He was in his mid 80's last time
   that we talked)

   For those that can't equate cost with value - just think about the
   $75,000,000 paid for a van Gogh and I heard that the Louvre once
   turned down an offer of #150,000,000 for a statue of me with two
   broken arms ;-)   :-)

   Leicafully,

   Mary (de Milo) McGough
   see my African pix on Hans Pahlens website
   NO ARCHIVE