Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: concert shooting (was Leica Camera-Handling)
From: "Bryan Caldwell" <bcaldwell@softcom.net>
Date: Thu, 16 Mar 2000 06:26:08 -0800

I'm sorry, I thought the reference was to the famous shot of Hendrix at
Monterrey with his arm outstretched - the one that opens Marshall's web
site - this is probably Marshall's most famous Hendrix shot.

In the old days (60s and 70s) audience members (including me) were not
prevented from taking cameras to concerts. A lot of very well known shots
were taken this way. I have quite a few rolls filed away of the Stones,
Dylan, Bowie, the Who, and many, many more. I sold prints and had shots
published - so I guess you can say that I profitted without benefitting the
artists. In the 1980s, this type of photography all but disappeared.
Business savy artists and management began to exercise greater control over
the artists' image and restrict access of photographers. Photo passes are
usually required  and to get one a photographer agrees to conditions that
often include total approval by the artist (if not outright ownership) and
shooting restricted to certain songs (usually only the first two or three of
the concert).

It's sad that this kind of access doesn't really exist anymore, but I have
to say I understand it. Entertainment of this kind became more of a business
and it's also true that not all photographers cared about who they sold
shots to. Many artists found un-flattering shots sold to questionable
magazines who printed stories based on hearsay and innuendo.

I've moved on to other things. But, just two weeks ago I was asked to dig
through my files for some performace and recording studio shots to provide
material for an album/CD package. Some of my fondest photographic memories
were being perched at the edge of the stage in many conert venues, snapping
away in full view of the band and the security. I even had band members ask
for prints on more than one occasion.

Oh well, times change.

Bryan