Subject: RE: [Leica] 75`mm f11.4/Almost Ready to Take the Plunge.
From: "B. D. Colen" <bdcolen@earthlink.net>
Date: Thu, 16 Mar 2000 09:39:06 -0000

Go slowly if you already own the 85 1.4 for your F...Based on real-life
performance, the two lenses are virtually identical in terms of sharpness,
contrast, bokah, etc. The Nikon is shorter than the Leica, but MUCH bigger
in diameter - it takes a 72 mm filter and resembles a coffee can. On the
other hand, it is a real pleasure focusing a short tele through a 1.4
aperture because you get so much light with which to focus.

The Leica 75 1.4 is longer and thinner, has a very good feel to it, has a
bit of a long focus throw and is a bit stiff in  focusing, but, for those
same reasons, can be focused VERY precisely...

Both lenses produce gorgeous images.

So, if you're not into having matching F and M lenses, either trade the 85
on the 75 - which is what I admit I did - or keep the 85 and buy a different
lens for the M....

B. D.