Subject: [Leica] Image quality
From: Erwin Puts <imxputs@knoware.nl>
Date: Thu, 16 Mar 2000 20:11:53 +0100

Some Leica lenses are well-known for their uncanny ability to record
extremely fine details in the object on the film. The big question
many Leica users will be asking is this: can we get that quality on
paper? We all know that every step in the reproduction process will
degrade the image quality somewhat. Some writers/observers will even
claim that this degradation is quite severe and will make the
difference between a picture made with a Leica lens and a Pentax lens
(as example) marginal if not hypothetical.
So I went into the darkroom to check if I can transfer the potential
image quality of a Leica lens  to paper without a significant loss.
I used the Summicron 2/50mm (latest generation) and a Ilford 100Delta
in Rodinal, compared to a Kodak TMax100 in D76. Aim of this test was
not to verify if the Pentax lens would be as good as the Leica lens
when transferred to paper, but to see if the image quality of the
Leica lens could be preserved on paper when using different
film/developer combinations. The theory behind the choice is the fine
grain versus acutance type of development for preserving image
sharpness.
To get some tangible results I used a resolution chart. The Summicron
50mm will resolve 40lp/mm with good contrast as the MTF curves will
tell you. Now 40lp/mm is quite a bit: it means that 80 lines per mm
will be detectible with great clarity on the negative, each line
having a width of 12.5 microns (thousands of a mm). The question is
now: can I get the same definition of fine detail that is delivered
by the lens on paper when I use a negative, an enlarger and a print.
At enlargements of about 10 times I could not detect the same
definition. It was always lower. Now when enlarging to 16 times from
the full negative I clearly saw the fine details that are equivalent
to that resolution of 40lp/mm. . If I had used even finer grained
film with a bigger enlargement the film/enlarger/paper combination
would get me to about 80lp/mm, which is about the maximum any
well-corrected lens can deliver in practice.
I used the Focotar 2.8/40. At 2.8 (just as an aside) the resolution
was  below my expectations.Stopped down to 5.6 the world was OK.
So this test indicates that the high quality of a Leica lens can be
put on paper and be visible by any observer with an unaided  eye. The
100Delta was ahead of the TMax100 in this discipline. By implication:
if a Pentax lens were as good as a Leica lens, it would show. If not,
it would be visible too.
Conclusion: with suitable material and technique Leica lenses can be
made to deliver their image potential on paper.  But a negative needs
to be enlarged to at least 12 times to show the decisive advantage.
Or you need a very critical eye.

Erwin