Subject: Re: [Leica] Charlie Parker Live, the BS-FREE VERSION
From: "Jim Shulman" <garcia@chesco.com>
Date: Thu, 16 Mar 2000 16:01:38 -0500

Bird Lives!  So do the records.  From www.mosaicrecords.com

Read on (and next time you want to get huffy about copyright issues, make
sure you know your facts before you blow smoke up your butt!)

Jim

The story behind the myth begins in March of '47.
Bird took an extended gig at the Hi-De-Ho in Los Angeles with Howard McGhee,
Hampton Hawes, Addison Farmer and Roy Porter. Bird was healthy, having just
come out of Camarillo State Hospital, and he was at the peak of his powers.
When a saxophone player/amateur recordist named Dean Benedetti heard him, he
was awestruck. Benedetti approached Bird and asked for permission to run a
disc recorder during the sets. Bird agreed, and Benedetti began! To preserve
disc space, Benedetti would start the machine when Bird was soloing, and
stop the machine as soon as the solo was over. Benedetti used a mike, placed
right in front of Bird's instrument, and except for Bird and the bass
directly behind him, little else was captured on disc.

Using this technique, Benedetti recorded nearly four hours of concentrated
Bird solos over a two-week period, with the sound varying from quite poor to
fairly good. Bird's musical ideas, however, are never less than brilliant.

On to New York.

 Later in '47, Bird returned to New York, and Benedetti followed. This time,
however, Benedetti had an early model tape recorder. He taped Bird one night
at the Onyx and another at the Three Deuces (where in one segment, we hear
Monk coming out of the audience to teach Bird how to play "Straight, No
Chaser"). The quality of the New York recordings is quite good, and they
account for fully half of this collection.

These are the Benedetti recordings in their entirety, and after 40 years of
rumor, speculation and debate, they are at last available to the world.

Everything is transferred directly from the original discs and tapes by
legendary engineer Jack Towers and coproducer Phil Schaap. The 48-page
booklet includes musical transcriptions by Benedetti and others, essays by
Phil Schaap on Parker's life during this period, a biography of Dean
Benedetti by Bob Porter, a musical analysis by Parker authority James
Patrick, and Phil Schaap's complete annotated discography of all the music
in the set.

This set is our first Mosaic Unlimited release. Since we own, rather than
lease, the rights to these recordings, we are not restricted in any way as
to the number of sets we can make available. This historic set, as well as
future Mosaic Unlimited sets, will remain in print and available to the
international jazz community for as long as Mosaic exists.

"It was jazz's version of the Holy Grail, Plato's lost Dialogue or the 18 ½
minutes missing from Richard Nixon's White House tapes. And now the hunt is
over." - Arthur Spiegelman, The Dallas Morning News