Subject: Re: [Leica] 50mm f1.5 Nokton question
From: "A.H.SCHMIDT" <horsts@primus.com.au>
Date: Fri, 17 Mar 2000 12:13:27 +1100

John Bean wrote:

> Horst, I understand your points about the "misuse" of the historic names of
> the Voigtlander-branded Cosina lenses, but I fail to understand the tone of
> your comments - it's almost as though you take Cosina's marketing as a
> personal insult!
>
> I use all the lenses *except* the Nocton (coming soon!) on M bodies, and I
> find them all "adequate" to "excellent", though my favourite is the 75/2.5.

John, don't get me wrong, I never meant to imply, that the lenses where not of a
very good quality, or not extremely good value for the money.

> As for the branding, I believe this is regional; in some parts of the world
> it is Cosina, in others Voigtlander. Most manufacturers with access to more
> than one brand name do this, it's hardly a case of being "ashamed to use
> there (sic) own name on the products they manufacture".

Let me put it an other way. If I had a company who made for years and years
low quality and mediocre items, and had a bad name for my products, I would  most
probably also look for an other name to brand my  merchandise. Especially if the
goods where of a much higher quality now.

> I am not in a position to be able to buy state-of-the-art Leica glass, and
> these new Cosina offerings are better (IMO) than the similarly priced used
> Leica glass that I can afford. And before I get flamed, I use my 40-year
> old Leitz lenses just as often. Will my Cosina lenses will still be around
> in 40 years, I wonder? As I probably won't be around to check, I'll declare
> that question rhetorical.
>
> As to racism, It didn't cross my mind until you mentioned it.

Well, I tell you, once before I mentioned something about a Japanese Company,
I was accused of being racist. This was of course total rubbish. It had nothing to
do with
me, where the company was located. However, some politically correct types, accused
me of this. Stupid as it was.  As I always say: "Some of my best friends.........."

Regards, Horst Schmidt