Subject: RE: [Leica] Summarex 85mm f/1.5 -- info!
From: Simon Pulman-Jones <spulmanjones@london.edu>
Date: Fri, 17 Mar 2000 13:10:17 -0000

At 06:10 AM 3/16/2000 -0500, Andre Jean Quintal wrote:
>Would someone care to tell us about this lens ?
>When was it made?
>What were its relative merits for the time?
>How does it compare to the current models ?

AJQ - I have asked the same question of the LUG before, and it seems from
the responses that very few people are using this lens.  The one that I
have is one of my favourite Leica lenses - and very useful, despite its
less than stellar optical reputation.  The two main uses that I have for
mine are theatre and concert photographs and for Noctilux-style available
darkness - but with a very useful longer reach.  It may be old and far from
the performance of the latest Leica generations but it is still uniquely
useful - obviously the 75 Summilux is closest to it, and an absolutely
wonderful lens by all accounts, but if you are shooting from the audience
of a concert or theatre performance the extra 10 mm of focal length
actually does make quite a difference to how close you can get.

I was very pleasantly surprised with the performance at f1.5 - It is worst
at close range, between four and eight feet - ranging from just adequately
sharp to obviously 'soft focus'.  This is not as bad as it sounds, though.
 That lack of sharpness has to be balanced against the fact that f1.5
allows you an extra stop on film speed over most of the other available 85
and 90mm lenses (Leica, Nikon and Canon LTM), which can make a big
difference to subjective sharpness.  The biggest problem is one of focusing
accurately - just a matter of practice.  I really don't think it is
necessary to decide between latest generation Leica lens performance and
the performance of the older lenses - I hardly ever look at a picture made
with the Summarex, or with the first generation 35 Summilux, and think, oh
my god, that's so soft - I'm too busy feeling happy that I was able to get
the shot in such low light, and enjoying the depth and glow that come from
the cocktail of flare, coma and other aberrations that these lenses have in
such abundance wide open.  When I use the 35 Summilux asph. I'm stunned by
the extraordinary lucidity it gives wide open - but that is very rarely the
deciding factor for the value of the picture to me.  But then I am not a
professional aiming for consistency and optimum quality...

At longer distances, such as the fifty feet or so from which the 85mm will
capture a couple of figures interacting on a stage, the supposedly poor
optical performance becomes less of an issue.  I usually shoot between f1.5
and f2 - at f2 performance is fine, definitely sharp enough.  And at f1.5
it is surprisingly sharp at that distance - I have never been bothered by
lack of sharpness.  What is significant is the level of flare, or glow.  I
find that I need to underexpose as much as a stop if I want to stop bright
stage light highlights from washing out into ethereal glows surrounding
people - as long as I do this to keep the 'glow' under control the result
is something that doesn't look absolutely natural and accurate - but often
looks very effective - after all, the lighting in theatre or concert
situations is rarely 'natural' looking anyway.

I would love to hear from anybody else who has experience with this lens -
I would hate to think that they are all on collectors' shelves.  As with so
many of the other older Leica lenses it would be a great shame if talk
about what are often only marginal differences in optical performance
compared to later lenses means that they are thought to be only of interest
to collectors.  Prices for a Summarex will range both a little below and
above the 75 Summilux - which is undoubtedly a far finer lens.  But the
extra 10mm really can be useful in some situations - and, for what it's
worth, the Summarex is probably the most substantially and beautifully
built of all Leica lenses - the quality is such that my 1950 example looks
as if it was bought yesterday, the surfaces of the barrel seem impervious
to wear.  For a fast 85mm lens it is surprisingly compact - mine has
replaced a 90 Elmarit-M in my compact walkabout kit, along with a body and
a 35 - at apertures smaller than f2 I am never aware of any deficiency in
quality.

So, notwithstanding comments from Marc and others that the Summarex is a
dog both by name and by nature, I would urge anyone who can actually to USE
one - it may be a pleasant surprise - as is true of so many supposedly
inferior Leica lenses...

Simon.