Subject: Re: [Leica] Leica R8 motor drive
From: Ted Grant <tedgrant@home.com>
Date: Fri, 17 Mar 2000 19:23:29 -0800

TM wrote:

> I bought the MD yesterday and love it! However, page 18 of the manual
> states the following:
>
>     The battery pack is delivered in a fully charged state.
> Nevertheless, for an optimal conditioning of the cells, it is
> recommended that several charge/discharge cycles be performed before
> they are used for the first time.
>
> Have any other LUG MD buyers found it necessary to do this? If you've
> not, have you had any problems?>>>>>>>>>

Hi Terry:

My battery/power pack, whatever, was charged on arrival and gave life to
the camera and motor immediately upon insertion to the motor attached to
the body.

I tried a it a few times and then immediately put it on the charger set
for complete discharge.  Once the discharge had taken place, the charger
switched over and brought the battery pack to full power. Re-inserted in
the motor and film just flew through the camera as it should,

Not a problem at all.  The immediate dis-charging is a good thing and
the same thing takes place with the auxiliary power pack for the winder.
 No harm is done, as it's probably a good thing to get the power scource
drained  and brought back up to full power as soon as possible before
and during the first few times of use.

I took mine out and left it plugged in all night where it drained and
completely re-charged by morning. And everything worked like a dream.

ted