Subject: [Leica] 180 APO-M
From: "Sal DiMarco,Jr." <sdmp007@pressroom.com>
Date: Sat, 18 Mar 2000 07:36:14 -0500

MikeQ and MarcR

        To answer your questions, the 180mm w/ eyes prototype I played with
was f/3.4. Orginally it was made in Canada and very quietly shown at the
1974 Photokina. I couldn't get my hands on it quick enough. The Canadians
also showed a 28mm Elmarit w/ eyes for the CL.
        Don't expect the lens any time soon. As I said there are a lot of
problems to be solved. Leica is not sure they want to produce it.
        Once, I had a 180mm f/2.8 Tele-Elmarit, the Visoflex lens. I used it
with a14167 on SL and SL2 MOTs. The lens with a Visoflex is a bear to work
with. I never felt it was a viable option.
        In 1980 I bought the second version of the 180mm f/2.8. It has given
me several great cover photos even with the ding in the front element. I'll
probably never part with it.  Eventually, I gave the 180mm Tele-Elmarit to
Leica Germany for the Museum in trade for an R8.

Happy Snaps,
Sal DiMarco, Jr.

PS- I missed the orginal post, what lens hood is worth $5,500.00?