Subject: Re: [Leica] R8 birth! :)
From: Ted Grant <tedgrant@home.com>
Date: Sat, 18 Mar 2000 06:21:44 -0800

Ted Grant wrote:
> >You can say that in this case!  As the motor completely changes the
> >balance for the better and makes the camera much easier to hold. I'd bet
> >people who found the camera alone difficult to hold due to smaller
> >hands, would find with a motor it's a piece of cake, regardless of the
> >slightly added weight.

Pascal responded:

> I fully agree with Ted. However, it's a pity that Leica did not bring out
> something like a handgrip, that could be used with the winder as well,
> because adding the motordrive on itself is overkill of many and it surely
> adds lots of weight (much more than an F5 !).>>>>>>>>

Hi Pascal,

I believe the weight difference is minor F5, EOS to R8, besides I'm far
more concerned about handling/operation than weight.  And the motor does
that without question. Better operating feel.

> I am sure that many would only buy the handgrip without the motordrive,
> but now, you are obliged to carry the heavy kit along if you want the
> extra comfort the integrated handgrip provides.
> Believe me, it can be quite heavy if you have to walk around for a whole day during a city trip :-)

I rarely carry R cameras around my neck with a motor attached,  only
when I worki with two or three R's at the same time. In that case, one
around the neck, short strapped; one on each shoulder and or if
necessary two on the left shoulder hanging one above the other with the
longer lens attached to lower camera. They fit on my shoulders much
better and the idea is to always keep weight off your neck and onto the
shoulders where the strength is.!

If I'm out for a day shoot, I rarely put the camera around my neck for
any length of time, simply because it doesn't matter which camera (even
an "M")  the chances are by the end of the day you'll be aware you
carried it all day.  Try the M with Noctilux! :)

The idea is to keep your hands as relaxed as possible and if you're
carrying an EOS, Nikon or R8 in the same hand all day, the grip factor
gradually wears down your ability to hold the camera comfortably.  And
isn't that part of the fun of shooting pictures, the "comfort factor"
both physically and mentally?

Hang them on your shoulder as much as you can, you'll feel better.

ted