Subject: Re: [Leica]Summar photos anyone?
From: "Mike Durling" <durling@widomaker.com>
Date: Sat, 18 Mar 2000 11:25:53 -0500

Dan, I have the Summar and really don't like it.  Its very soft wide open
but does sharpen stopped down, but probably not as much as the Elmar.  Mine
has developed quite a bit of flare over the years.  I attribute this to the
post-manufacture coating wearing off.  The inside seems clear when looked at
with a flashlight shining through the aperture.  I could get it cleaned, but
I bought a Summitar and am much happier with it.  It too is a little soft
wide open except in the very center.  It sharpens up nicely after a couple
of stops.  Some pix taken with the Summitar are on my site.

Mike Durling
KD4KWB
http://www.widomaker.com/~durling/