Subject: Re: [Leica] f2.8 90mm Elmarit (Thin) Survey
From: ceworkman@ktis.net (C. E. Workman Jr.)
Date: Sat, 18 Mar 2000 13:14:05 -0600

Jacques just reported that the foam material in the box his 90mm Elmarit
came in had deteriorated badly.  I checked the box mine came in and found
the same condition.  I've even found that the foam in the bottom of my Leitz
film cassettes (purchased in the 70's) had deteriorated too.  Maybe this is
something that should be considered.  Could there be a gas that escapes when
this foam degenerates that might cause a cloud on our lenses?  I don't know,
but it may be something that Leica might want to look at when they get some
of these foggy lenses back for inspection.  Just a thought.  I never store
my lenses in the original boxes, but use "bubbles", and I don't have any
fog.

Latest count on the serial numbers for the Elmarit 90mm is:  13 clear, 5
fogged.

Chuck