Subject: Re: [Leica] Camera Bag Recommendation
From: "Marthe & Rene" <marthe.rene@sympatico.ca>
Date: Sun, 19 Mar 2000 07:55:19 -0500

Rick Dykstra wrote:

>Could I invite users of these bags to describe what they >can carry, for M
>and R systems.  And how they feel about the protection >offered and
>convenience of use.  I'd want to carry two M bodies, >four lenses, an SF20
>flash and a few rolls of film.

Rick, I removed my wife's R gear from the "Alice" and found to my surprise
that you could actually fit all of your equipment into it.  The "Alice" is
made out of canvas with a non-removable foam insert. The main rectangular
cavity can be divided into three compartments using moveable dividers and
one of the compartments can further divided into two by the insertion of a
flap. There is also a 1 to 11/2 inch space that runs the full length and
height of the bag between the insert and the front of the camera bag.  The
front canvas is also padded making this space padded front and back but not
at the bottom or sides.

I placed the following equipment in the right compartment:  90 APO flat at
the bottom with the flap covering the lens then my 50 cron on top. In the
middle, M6 body with 35/1.4. That leaves the left compartment free for
another body and lens, or two more lenses if you were to use a back to back
connector.  I don't have the SF20 flash but from the pictures I have seen it
appears fairly slim. I believe it could fit in the front compartment with
room left for several rolls of film.

I also own a Domke F2E.  I would say that the protection afforded by both
bag to be about the same. Canvas construction with foam inserts. Density of
the foam appears about the same for both bags.  The canvas on the Billingham
is nicer to the touch, appears to have some sort of water resistant coating
on it making it slicker.  The Domke is very strong, well constructed but the
canvas does look like canvas (Army packsack style).  I have used it over the
last seven years to carry a full load of Nikon gear and now carries my Hassy
gear.

Comparing the Domke and Billingham, I prefer "Alice" for the construction,
quality of materials.

Based on the recommendation I received both on LUG and several via private
e-mails, the Domke F803 gets the most votes. I'll have to check it out
tomorrow a my local camera store.

Hope this helps

Here's a question for fellow Canadians. Any of you know if Fogg bags are
available in Canada and if they are who the distributor is?

Rene C