Subject: Re: [Leica] Film flatness
From: Mark Rabiner <mark@rabiner.cncoffice.com>
Date: Sun, 19 Mar 2000 11:39:01 -0800

Austin Franklin wrote:

> > There is a 35mm camera (the Contax RTS III) with a vacuum back designed
> > specifically to keep the film flat.
>
> That depends on how it is implemented, and it may end up providing worse
> results than expected.  The issue is what is the film plane?  Film has
> different thicknesses, and a vacuum back must either be made to compensate
> for it, or it will not be accurate.
><Snip>
If we start talking sprocket holes lets not forget 70mm.
I do have a 70mm back in my Hassy system. I wonder if those sprocket holes and
it's grabbers have any effect on film flatness?

It sure is easier to hold that film flat in my negative carrier of my enlarger.
Those spockets give you sometime to grab onto!
I think Contaxs' ceramics and vacuum film technology will have more effect in
their 645 system  (just 220) than in it's 35mm system.
For some people it's a reason to get it over Hasselblad. A selling point. To
others it's a whole system needlessly implemented ready to go wrong.
Me I love ceramics but I'll skip the Hoover!
Mark (also loves 220 and has a set of those backs) Rabiner