Subject: RE: [Leica] HP5+ 4"x"5 sheet in D76 using Jobo tank
From: "Tim Atherton" <tim@KairosPhoto.com>
Date: Sun, 19 Mar 2000 15:38:24 -0700

In think I noticed a while back that the Ilford times for 4x5 and 35mm on
their guide were the same for both sizes (unlike Kodak).

I have the same tank as you, but haven't used it much (I'm just going back
to doing some 4x5 bw). I tried hand rolling it, and it can be a bit of a
pain. I've been thinking of making a simple roller based electrical gizmo to
do it (looking out at garage sales for one of those old rock polishing
setups that were all the rage a few years back). My other  thoughts have
been to try treating it as an enclosed sheet holder/developing tank. It must
contain about twice what the smaller rubber Kodak tanks hold and I've used
those to develop a few sheets at a time. With those, I just agitate the
holders every 30 seconds. I'm planning on running some tests to see if you
can run the Jobo like a giant 35mm tank and use hand agitation. I know
someone else makes what is basically a square tank with a lid and inlet
outlet, with built in sheet holders. The main complaint about it being that
the lid always leaked. So the Jobo may just work like that. I would probably
start by using the recommended times for hand/tank development rather than
continuous agitation.

Tim A

PS - got the Jobo tank + loading base for a good deal on e bay a while back!