Subject: [Leica] Question RE: Lens Repair
From: Greg.Chappell@bankofamerica.com
Date: Sun, 19 Mar 2000 19:46:32 -0600

I have a Dual Range Summicron that, according to Sherry, the 5th element had
become de-cemented. You could tell around the edges & there were some specks
in the middle areas of the element. She said she did not do that type repair
on these lenses so I dutifully sent the lens to The Focal Point, as they
advertise being able to fix this problem, which they did as the lens came
back looking beautiful with just a visual inspection & looking through it in
regular light. Upon using the flash-through-the-lens test, I noticed what
looked like a very thin fog-like look in the rear elements which was not
there before sending it to Focal Point. Has anyone else witnessed this in a
lens sent there for this repair?

I will say I've done some comparison shooting with it & my new 50 Summicron
since getting it back, & with like-shots on Kodachrome 64 you'd need to be
very critical to tell 'em apart so it does not really seem to effect
performance. Just bothers a very picky person.