Subject: RE: [Leica] 35mm versus 120
From: Austin Franklin <austin@darkroom.com>
Date: Sun, 19 Mar 2000 21:09:44 -0500

> according to my resolution tests and experience shooting Rolleis and
others
> for 20 years, is that is that the film "remembers" the curves it goes
> through prior to getting to the film plane.  The tighter the curve and
the
> longer it has sat there, the more it will remember it.

I believe that is true to some degree, but NOT anywhere near the degree you
seem to believe it is the cause of any problem.

Perhaps you could share the resolution tests that showed this phenomenon
with us?  That would certainly 'resolve' the question of whether this is an
issue or not.

> Likewise, the
> longer it sits on the film plane, the more likely it will "forget" the
past
> curves -- some say "relax."

Film, left 'sitting', will also naturally curl along the vertical (edges
curl in).

>  The
> worst I ever saw in real world shooting was when I  shot an English
> cathedral steeple with my Rollei SL66 on a very cold morning.  The frame
> that had sat on the reverse curl put an out-of-focus line across the
frame
> (and steeple) that was visible without a loupe.

That makes perfect sense, but for reasons of expansion and contraction
since it probably went from heat to cold, and conformed to the roller.
 That is a completely different issue, but certainly one to be aware of.

> In the real world, when I'm shooting MF I simple keep track of how long
the
> film has sat on the roller.  When shooting a series of shots fairly
> quickly, the issue can be almost ignored.  When I do landscapes, want
> maximum sharpness, and the film generally sits still for some time while
> hike to a different location, I end up shooting every other frame.

You  know, I just don't do any of this, and have never had a problem.  Nor
do I ever hear (or see) any other professionals say they (or see them)
perform all these 'techniques' to make up for this alleged problem.
 Perhaps you could share a few negatives that demonstrate this phenomenon,
aside from the temperature issue you mentioned above?

> On the GA645 Zi Fuji put two
> rollers on the face of the film just outside the frame that hold the film
> on the pressure plate.  It appears to work well.  I've found I can shoot
it
> like a 35, virtually ignoring the film flatness problems that are usually
> associated with MF shooting.

The Hasselblad has two rollers on the face of the film just outside the
frame that 'hold the film on the pressure plate' too (not entirely
accurate, because it would be the pressure plate that pushes the film
toward the rollers...but none the less)...  My old Zeiss Favorit has the
same two rollers opposite the pressure plate...so do my Zeiss Super
Ikontas...  How are the Fuji ones different?

>  (Moreover, that Fuji zoom is, in some ways,
> better than my Zeiss glass -- amazing.)

I have that camera, and I do not concur.  It IS nice, but hardly a match
for my Zeiss Hasselblad lenses, and I can't imagine what would lead you to
say that...  What do you mean 'in some ways'?