Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: 35/1.4 ASPH vs Noct
From: "The Beals" <jbeal@bendnet.com>
Date: Mon, 20 Mar 2000 01:10:53 -0800

Horst,
   With all returned respect, Mr. Gilcrest's logic seems to be supported by
basic photographic principles.  Look at an EV chart and tell me how a
Noctilux at 1.0 with a 1/50 shutter speed is any faster than a 35mm Summilux
at 1.4 with a shutter of 1/30.  Don't they both register an EV of 6, with
film speed being constant?  Shutter speed and sharpness are affected by
focal length.  The combination of focal length and outfit weight also affect
EV's.  Longer focal lengths exaggerate subtle camera movement, particularly
as shutter speeds decrease in handheld situations.  This generally mandates
higher shutter speeds for longer focal lengths and allows slower speeds for
shorter focal lengths.  Weight of the outfit can fatigue the photographer,
further increasing the likelihood of camera movement.  (The Gilcrest article
compared a 35mm Summilux-M to a Noctilux.  I don't know how much of a
difference exists between the 35/1.4 ASPH and the Noct).  Finally, field of
view, not accounting for perspective of course, can be compensated by moving
closer to the subject (which we should be doing more of anyway, right?).
   I don't think the original posting of this thread can be easily brushed
aside by "don't compare different focal lengths".  I introduced Dick
Gilcrest's article as support for the original poster's question.

John Beal II
Redmond, Oregon