Subject: Re: [Leica] Now, Frank-bashing??????
From: Rob Schneider-Laura Tully <robslaurat@earthlink.net>
Date: Tue, 21 Mar 2000 08:35:40 -0500

Jeff Spirer wrote:

> >Johnny Deadman: >>> Reminded me of Robert Frank's dictum in THE
> >AMERICANS to photograph people as if seen by the ordinary man.
> >
> >Bernard: >>>"As if seen by the ordinary man" = tasteless, banal.<<<
> >
> >I sometimes wonder where the heck I am on this list. This is like going
> >to an electric guitar forum and hearing people talk about how much they
> >hate rock music.
>
> Not at all, Mike, that's a bad analogy.  It's like going to the electric
> guitar forum and hearing people talk about how much they hate Jimi
> Hendrix.  One doesn't have to feel an affinity for each and every
> practitioner that you feel is important to appreciate the art.
>
> Not that I caught the original reference, so maybe it's out of context
> anyway.  But Frank is very much an American artist and may not appeal as
> much to people from other places.
>

> Jeff Spirer
> Photos: http://www.spirer.com
> One People: http://www.onepeople.com/

As I recall, Frank is Swiss and his "American" photography was not much
appreciated (reviled, in fact) by Americans when it first appeared.  "The
Americans" was first published in France as (appropriately enough) "Les
Americains."  It drifted to our shores later, to be greeted with derision
and raspberries.  Happens a lot to "furriners."

I think Mike J. was/is on the right track.  More than a few local
contributors seem to love Leicas but have little regard for photography.  Go
figure.  And if you follow the threads you'll realize that Bernard is one of
our dearest and most consistent trollers.

Rob Schneider