Subject: Re: [Leica] What are your secrets to handheld shots?
From: Ted Grant <tedgrant@home.com>
Date: Tue, 21 Mar 2000 06:21:32 -0800

RGKEG@aol.com wrote:

> The problem for me has always been the movement of the subject.  If I could,
> which I can't, hold a steady shot for a half second, the picture would
> probably be ruined, as would the focus, by movement of the subject or other
> movement in the frame.
>
> If I am shooting something at low speed that doesn't move, I try to find some
> kind of brace.

 Ron ,

Try working at the highest possible shutter speed and the widest
possible aperture. In other words if the background is of no concern to
th photo, you don't need to see it in focus. Therefore you can shoot
wide open and 1/1000 of a sec if the light reading allows for that kind
of exposure.

Shooting in this manner gives potentially a  "movement stopping" shutter
speed and might give you better "stopped subject motion" pictures.

However if your working by available darkness and the shutter speeds are
in the 1/15 and slower speeds, you're just living dangerously mate. But
even at those speeds one can capture both "no shake camera and subject"
pictures if you release at the right time.

ted