Subject: [Leica] Re: Canon LTM lenses
From: LRZeitlin@aol.com
Date: Tue, 21 Mar 2000 11:15:35 EST

I must bow to superior knowledge about the mechanical quality problems of
Canon LTM lenses. However I personally have never encountered any serious
decentering or mount looseness on any of the lenses I own. All are fairly
late models, except the f.2.8 35mm Serenar, and are in the black anodized
mounts. They were apparently imported by Bell and Howell or by Canon, USA in
the late 1960's. They fit to my Leica bodies without play and couple
perfectly to the rangefinders in both the III series and the M series. I
don't know where Marc Small buys lenses but here in New York, Canon lenses
still sell for a good deal less than equivalent Leica lenses. All it takes is
hunting through the old equipment and junk boxes of photo stores. That, and a
little hard bargaining. I can't vouch for catalog or mail order prices
though. Incidentally, I picked up the beautiful 100 mm Canon f3.5 short
telephoto for $80 at Wall St. Camera.

LarryZ