Subject: Re: : [Leica] Perfect focus for landscape?
From: Mark Rabiner <mark@rabiner.cncoffice.com>
Date: Tue, 21 Mar 2000 09:32:01 -0800

Johnny Deadman wrote:
><Snip>
> > Show us some of your wide open landscapes!
> > Mark Rabiner
>
> I'll have to fish around... they're not your usual landscapes... urban
> schtick... you get the picture... I know there's one at
>
>     http://www.pinkheadedbug.com/midperfectblue
>
> It's the gun store sign. f/2.8, but that was wide open for the lens I used.
>
> Partly it's also my orneriness about tripods. Hand held + dim light = wide
> open.
>
> I'll dig out some more interesting stuff and post it somewhere.
>
> --
> Johnny Deadman

Not to be overly provocative but a gun store sign in the middle of a forest?
There are times when you guys (young hotshots) have GOT TO STOP DOWN!
Pulling out a tripod does not mean you've lost the war!
"Selective focus" as in wide upon no focus can be a great excuse for no technique.
Yes there are whole genre's of photography when wide open is the necessary case.
But landscape would sure not be one of them.
You'd be dong a whole new thing if you did!!!
And I did do some selective focus foliage with my 135 APO 3.4 a couple of weeks ago!
Mark