Subject: [Leica] Re: LTM Lens Roundup
From: kwilcox@mail.davison.k12.mi.us (Ken Wilcox)
Date: Tue, 21 Mar 2000 11:51:56 -0400

The Summitar is indeed a very nice lens. Even better is the Red Scale Elmar
which is simply outstanding. My current favorite in LTM is the 35 Asph
Summicron.

The 105mm Nikor in LTM is also outstanding, as is the 65 Elmar (Visoflex
mounted)

Ken Wilcox

At 10:44 AM -0500 3/21/0, Doug Cooper wrote:
>Thanks, Larry, for the Canon bestiary.  That was tremendously helpful (as
>I'm currently trying to build an arsenal of LTM lenses).
>
>I'd love it if someone could do the same for the Leica LTM lenses.
>
>For instance, despite hearing occasional disparaging remarks about the
>Summitar, I just shot my first roll with this lens, and it is *gorgeous.*
>For the first time I understand the semi-mystical language you guys
>use to discuss Leica imagery -- the "3-d effect," the "Leica
>glow," etc. -- all suddenly very palpable.
>
>It was an interesting shoot, this roll.  I was walking down Prince Street,
>in Soho, and suddenly a gaggle of disreputable-looking photogs appeared,
>bearing huge Canon lenses.  And there was Roberto Benini, trying to look
>amused.  (I take it these were actual paparazzi, from Italy.)
>
>I was carrying the new IIIf, with Summitar, but I had *no film*, so I
>quickly bought a roll of slide film from an Australian tourist:  ASA 200,
>branded by Black's in Canada.  By the time I'd purchased it and cut the
>leader, my quarry had disappeared.
>
>A huge chunk of West Broadway was cordoned off for a television shoot,
>however, so I stood around and photographed extras and techies, who were
>standing on the pavement trying to look important.
>
>I'm astonished at what this lens and camera produced.  (And I don't know
>what kind of ASA 200 film Black's puts their marque on, but it's extremely
>good.)
>
>One extra in particular, a low-rent Sophia Loren, was hilarious.  Preening
>in the sun, with full makeup.  I managed to get within a few feet of her
>to shoot surreptitiously, and these are the best shots on the roll.
>
>I was feeling very much like Cartier-Bresson (but was behaving, I guess,
>more like those guys who murdered Princess Di).
>

>cheers,
>

>Douglas Cooper

DO NOT use the reply fuction! Address any response to wilcox@tir.com

- ----
Ken Wilcox                        Carolyn's Personal Touch Portraits

				      preferred---> <wilcox@tir.com>
						   <kwilcox@gfn.org>