Subject: Re: [Leica] Berlin 1945
From: "Hans Pahlen" <hans.pahlen@mark.komvux.se>
Date: Wed, 22 Mar 2000 21:32:08 +0100

The name of the photographer is Yevgeny Khaldey. He got his first FED (a Leica II copy) in 1933, but later on, as a war correspondent, TASS gave him a genuine Leica. I have WWII photo of him using a black Leica III with Elmar 50.
Khaldey has published a book "Witness to history" (Aperture 1997), with many interesting photographs. After WWII, he remained with PRAVDA until 1972, when a resurgence of state-anti-Semitism forced his retirement.
(The story about the looted watch is true, and mentioned in this book. When Khaldey saw the famous Iwo Jima picture, he decided to something similar in Berlin, and he brought three flags all the way from Moscow as he followed the Russian troops to take the Reichstag picture).

He also covered the Nuremberg trials, where he met Robert Capa, who gave him a Speed Graphics camera.

Hans