Subject: Re: [Leica] R8 Investments (was Re: M6 Fugue)
From: Lucien <director@ubi.edu>
Date: Thu, 23 Mar 2000 12:59:51 +0100

"B. D. Colen" wrote:

> I'm not saying the R8 is wonderful, and I'm not say
> that it doesn't use The Best glass....But...It isn't autofocus and doesn't
> have half the flexibility in terms of features - if one wants them - of the
> F5, or F 100 for that matter, and it has far fewer lenses in its stable, for
> the same money as an F5...

B.D.,

Other than the autofocus (I agree with you that AF is a real
bonus sometime),
with the R8 you will loose:
- - the removable finder
- - 8 fps (instead of 4,5)
- - AA batteries with the motor (but the R8 motor include the
battery pack)
- - depth of field preview in every mode
- - the optional 1/300s flash sync instead of 1/250.

But you will gain:
- - a (much) better ergonomic (it's possible to switch the
program, the type of meter, the exposure override, to lock
the exposure, to change the way the flash will work (fill-in
or not via the program) without removing the eye from the finder
- - the opportunity to stop the motor and to advance the film manually.
- - the possibility to remove the motor or winder.
- - lenses with (much) better ergonomic (you can change your
lens in the dark more easily)
- - a very efficient pre-flash system with almost every flash
on the market.
- - the opportunity to decide to keep easily the film leader
out of the canister after rewinding.
- - the wonderful mirror lock-up system, specially with the
self timer.
- - the leather strap with the motor.
- - better access to 1st or 2nd shutter curtain option with
any flash
- - better access to bracketing
- - cable release connector without adapter
- - Tom A. soft release...
etc...

When I don't need AF, I much prefer the R8.

BTW, I don't think the Minolta 9 is offering the best AF on
the market.
But it's a nice camera.

Lucien