Subject: Re: [Leica] The M6 Fugue
From: Jeff Spirer <jeff@spirer.com>
Date: Thu, 23 Mar 2000 04:11:30 -0800

At 12:16 PM 3/23/00 +0100, Michel LE wrote:

>I'am just curious, how come that when someone talks about a automatic M6,
>the argument againts that move is that a "fully automatic" camera
>cannot.... ? Frankly, a camera with apeture priority automatism is not a
>fully automatic camera. The photog is always in control and decide how to
>take a picture...
>
>What creativity, control would you loose with an Hexar RF??? None, just set
>your exposure in manual mode.

Many people set manual exposure cameras to exactly what the meter says.  I
wouldn't call that being particularly creative and controlling.

I have a Hexar RF.  I use it in AE all the time.  I change the exposure
with the compensation dial close to 50% of the time.  I find it a lot
easier to think in terms of EV from a reading, and one gets the benefit of
stepless speeds which give more exact control than any manual camera.

I'm not saying it's better, but shooting with both manual and auto-exposure
cameras, I don't see any difference in the photographs.  I would offer the
challenge of going through the photographs on my web site and figuring out
which were done with a manual camera and which were done with an automatic
camera.

Jeff Spirer
Photos: http://www.spirer.com
One People: http://www.onepeople.com/