Subject: Re: [Leica] The M6 Fugue
From: john <bosjohn@mediaone.net>
Date: Thu, 23 Mar 2000 18:59:50 +0000

Gabriele Müller wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> maybe the main problem is that such a Leica M6 AE would destroy some
> feelings about the good old Leica M in the mind and creativity is an
> emotional factor, so this could be cage. Sure this is irrational. In my
> opinion such a new M Leica will die like the M5 in the 70s. For the cases
> you need automatic, you can take a Nikon F5 at example or if you hate AF a
> Leica R8, but M photography is a special kind, look at all the people who
> still use there M3 or prefer buying a M3 instead of the new M6 TTL. Maybe a
> AE would give a new market for people woh never used before a Leica M, but
> would this market be big enough??
> Lets wait for Photocina....
>
> Wish you all a nice day
>
> Gabriele
> > I'am just curious, how come that when someone talks about a automatic M6,
> > the argument againts that move is that a "fully automatic" camera
> > cannot.... ? Frankly, a camera with apeture priority automatism is not a
> > fully automatic camera. The photog is always in control and decide how to
> > take a picture...
> >
> > What creativity, control would you loose with an Hexar RF??? None, just
> set
> > your exposure in manual mode.
> >
> > I can understand people not willing an AE because it might change the
> > smoothness or whatever of the mechanics. But the argument of "loosing
> > creativiy or control over exposure" due to aperture priority automatism is
> > not sound.
> >
> > Bye.
> >

> > Michel Le
About this automation thingy.  Lets face it guys and gals, automation is
relative. The M-3 is highly automated over the lllf. My God, it even sets the
film counter for you, and pops the right frame line in the view finder without
even having to think of it. The M6 even has a built in exposure meter and a
battery, what next?  What troubles me about the discussion is those who say it
would be an either or situation when most of us who have expressed interest in
an M6 with aperture preferred automation only speculate about it as a choice
of modals.  If Leica uses their existing shutter with magnetic releases for
the curtains and a simple timer, I don't see how this in any way would
compromise the quality and durability of the camera.
The trade off is batteries for buzz whirr and click. Certainly the electronic
controlled shutter of the cloth horizontal type has the potential of being
even quieter than the present shutter, especially in slow speeds.

I know what is eating at you nay sayers, you won't have that wonderful after
buzz in the slow shutter speeds. Shluzzzzzzzzshlumpzzzzzzz zzzz zz z
John