Subject: RE: [Leica] Photos on the Web
From: Austin Franklin <austin@darkroom.com>
Date: Fri, 24 Mar 2000 20:23:14 -0500

>  the 1978
> copyright law which gives the copyright to the photographer
automatically.

Most commercial shoots, at least all the ones I have done, the clients/reps
require me to sign over any and all rights to exclusive use of the 'work'
to them.  I have NO problem with that, since I am getting paid quite well
to do so.  I do retain the rights to use the 'work' for my own
promotion/portfolio etc. use (even, in some cases, photo 'contests')...but
I can not sell the images, nor do they have to ask me to use them.

Personally, I think it's wrong that photographers retain the rights
automatically...since in EVERY other field, if you are paid to do the work,
the person paying you to do the work owns the rights.  That to me is just
common sense.  Rightly so, you WERE paid to do the work...and for some
bizarre reason, photographers don't live by this same rule.

This is yet another issue in the vast issues that LUG seems to get involved
in...

On the other hand, I got a new 50/1.4 today...and can't wait to try it out
this weekend!