Subject: Re: [Leica] Re:
From: "Bryan Caldwell" <bcaldwell@softcom.net>
Date: Sun, 26 Mar 2000 08:48:18 -0800

Ken,

I should have worded my comment this way:

When I left my teaching job to become an attorney, I took a salary cut of
approximately 30%. This figure is based solely on annual salary - not on
days worked. As a teacher I was contracted to work 181 days per year for
that salary. As an attorney employed by the county in which I work, I am
required to work considerably more days for my annual salary. If I were to
pro-rate out both salaries, the salary cut would have been more than 30%. I
never bothered to do this because I figured it would be too depressing.

I was a teacher for 12 years. I would never argue that teachers do not
deserve the time off they receive - and I would be the first to point out
that they are not paid for this time off. Teaching involves preparation and
grading and long hours outside the classroom. I worked 181 days/year as a
teacher and that is what I was paid for. I work 50 weeks/year as an attorney
and that is what I'm paid for.

My original point was to show that not all lawyers are raking in the big
bucks. Far from it. If you calculate salary based on $ per day worked, I
still make considerably less than I did as a public school teacher.

Bryan