Subject: [Leica] Charity work (for photographers too)
From: "Birkey, Duane" <dbirkey@hcjb.org.ec>
Date: Mon, 27 Mar 2000 10:31:32 -0500

As the photographer for an Evangelical Christian non-profit organization
here in Ecuador. I've met hundreds of Christian Doctors, Surgeons, Lawyers,
Engineers, Mechanics, Systems administrators and Programers, DJs, CPAs,
Administrators, Teachers, Electricians, skilled and unskilled Laborers,
Graphic Artists and Housewifes who have given a few weeks or months of their
time and talents to God through HCJB.  Those of us who live and work here
full-time don't make anywhere near what we did before, (but we're not
starving, it just takes a lot longer to save up for a Noctilux).  Our
"salary" is a bit different since we have to find individuals and churches
who are willing to give money to provide for our monthly income.  We have a
few people that are entirely self-funded.

There are many ways one can give of time and skills for charitable purposes
irregardless of your religous beliefs.  You can use your photographic skills
as well since virtually every charitble organization needs good photographs
for publicity...  Whether it is a local homeless shelter, Habitat for
Humanity, Meals on Wheels, Toys for Tots, local animal shelters, big-brother
programs, historical societies, park districts etc.....

But please do everyone a favor and make sure that you are doing them the
favor and not the other way around..... make sure you have the technique and
skills needed, especially if they are footing the bill..  We had one
photographer go on a trip to Eastern Europe, Central Asia and the former
Soviet bloc countries... 90% of his 60 to 80 rolls of film work was out of
focus or blurred and the other 10% wasn't all that great.  You can see from
the slides that he could have come home with some great shots.... had he
known what he was doing.   He had a great trip... but the mission got very
little  the amount invested.  Some groups may not want or be able to foot
your expenses... so you will need to decide if you want to give of your time
and pay for the ocassional film and processing.

Everyone has some skill that can be used for charitable purposes (even
photographers) if one wants to look for the opportunity to do so.

Duane Birkey
HCJB World Radio
Quito Ecuador

http://duane_birkey.tripod.com