Subject: Re: [Leica] Waterproof Leicas?
From: Bmceowen@aol.com
Date: Tue, 28 Mar 2000 10:53:52 EST

In a message dated 3/28/00 8:41:40 AM, dpost@triad.rr.com writes:

>At the risk of sounding like the fellow who admonished us against using
>
>hammer as our only tool, I would suggest that you carry the Leicas in a
>
>waterproof case, and while in the canoe, use something like a Nikonos!

I agree with this counsel in principle. Where I fault company is with the
suggestion of the Nikonos as the right tool. My experience (only with a
Nikonos II) is that the Nikonos is a pain. I found it very difficult to shoot
consistantly -- especially at slow speeds -- primarily because of the
push-toward-you shutter release (did they change that on later models?). Also
the guess focusing was a problem with the 35mm lens. A much better solution
IM(not so)HO is the waterproof point and shoot. Based on my experience with
the Canon model, I'd say they are plenty tough, adaquately sealed, MUCH more
convenient than a Nikonos (what with Autofocus, built-in fill flash and all)
and sufficient performers optically. I have two of the Canons and couldn't be
more pleased. In fact, the photo quality is quite a bit better than what I
get with my Nikon P&S . . . In my mind, it's the ultimate canoe camera.

Bob (believes in horses for courses) McEowen