Subject: Re: [Leica] Leica Users digest V16 #79
From: LRZeitlin@aol.com
Date: Wed, 29 Mar 2000 17:21:47 EST

In a message dated 3/29/00 8:07:09 AM,
owner-leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us writes:

<< Nikonos.  guesstimate focus, AE. Sturdy, heavy, 35mm lens. IMO best left
for true diving. I have used one and it's heavy overkill for what is
basically surface work. Sinks. >>

I spend most of my vacation time on the water, either sailing, canoing, or
kayaking and have found the Nikonos the only foolproof and waterproof camera
available at a reasonable price (used - of course). While there are a number
of water resistant cameras on the market, few will withstand any forcible
water impact such as being doused with a strong wave. Most of them are just
rainproof. About 10 years ago I took a Nikonos II on a kayak trip down the
Grand Canyon portion of the Colorado River. The camera, kayak and I all spent
half our time submerged in silty water and, since God protects fools, emerged
undamaged. The guess focus of the Nikonos is not much of a handicap in
outdoor marine photography since there is usually plenty of light. With relati
vely fast film I took most of my shots at f8 and 1/500 sec. Setting the
camera at its hyperfocal distance of 15 ft at that aperture allowed sharp
imaging of everything from the bow of the kayak to infinity. The dimensions
of the Nikonos and lens, 4.5" long, 4" high, and 3" deep are smaller than
those of my Leica M3. Its weight is also several ounces less.

I am a firm believer in Leica products on land but I would hesitate to take
one on the water in any boat smaller than an excursion steamer. Horses for
courses I say.

LarryZ