Subject: [Leica] Anyone know a decent place in the UK to buy a generic lens hood/shade?
From: "Doug Richardson" <doug@meditor.demon.co.uk>
Date: Sat, 1 Apr 2000 11:47:05 +0100

Some weeks ago, one of out fellow Lugnuts described how he'd solved a
photographic problem by going to a big camera store and buying a
generic-brand metal screw-in lenshood (lens shade to our US members).

Can such devices be bought anywhere in the UK? Or generic push-on or
screw-in metal lens caps? The Jessops generic hoods are made from
rubber & plastic, and I don't like the commonly-sold model of generic
plastic lens cap - the sort held in place by a couple of spring-loaded
plungers.

(I did try Adorama and B&W  last time I was in the USA and realised
I'd gone off on vacation without a hood for one of my uncoated lenses.
Both companies stocked generic metal hoods, but Adorama refused to
ship to an address other than the credit card billing address, while
B&W wanted to me to fax them an image of my credit card -- an exercise
which would have involved the expense of a 10-mile cab ride to and
from the nearest town.  In both cases, the precaution seemed more than
a little absurd for the purchase of a $9 lens hood.)

Regards,

Doug Richardson