Subject: [Leica] Kodak Safety film not so safe.....
From: Harrison Mcclary <harrison@mcclary.net>
Date: Sat, 01 Apr 2000 16:04:22 -0600

This past week I was visiting a friend and fellow photographer at his studio
in Murfreesboro, TN a town not far from where I live.  While there we began
discussing how a lot of his dad's old negs are rapidly deteriorating.

Let me insert here that his dad, Dick Shacklett, was a photographer in the
classic old style.  Shot with the big old cameras used Graflexes, Speed
Graphics, he created much of the visual history of Rutherford County
Tennessee with his photos. Some of you may have seem his most famous photo
"strike" a shot of a rainbow trout as it takes the fly...an incredible photo
considering it was made in the days of sheet film.

Anyway almost all of his old photos shot on "Kodak Safety Film" are rapidly
destroying themselves.  It seems that the acetate used in the base on these
films is chemically unstable and is beginning to shrink.  This is making the
negs extremely crinkled and such.  The official term is furrowing (sp?).

This is not due to poor storage or handling, but with the stability of the
acetate itself.  They are trying to learn how to stop this and have heard of
one or two methods, but one is about $100 per neg.....kinda high when you
consider the thousands and thousands of negs from that generation.

Hope the film makers have this problem fixed for current emulsions.....guess
the best thing is to either shoot on Glass Plates or make archival prints of
everything.

- --
Harrison McClary
http://www.mcclary.net